Our Afternoon Tea Extravaganza took place on 26th September 2014 in the sumptuous Pompadour Room at the Hotel Café Royal. Andrew Turner, Executive Chef, and his Pastry Chef Andrew Blas, also member of the 2015 Coupe du Monde de la Patisserie, welcomed our clients for a great showcase of pastry products and the launch of our Christmas Entremets Contest.
A showcase of fantastic pastry products
Our Afternoon Tea Extravaganza was a great opportunity for our clients to discover and taste new products.
Following on from the success of their Caramelia milk chocolate, Valrhona launched their new BiskElia during the event. Available exclusively to chefs and chocolatiers, the new milk chocolate (34% cocoa) is a rich and creamy creation that has a warm luminescent colour and a crisp freshness with warm toasty biscuit and salted toffee notes. They also showcased three pralines from our Christmas Collection, -60% hazelnut, 60% almond and Old fashion praline-, as well as their pearls range and Celaya hot chocolate. They also offered tastings of some chocolate bonbons:
- palet d’or: ganache made from Grand Cru guanaja 70%, coated in dark chocolate & decorated with gold leaf
- rinette lait: handmade chocolate almond halzelnut praline, coated in milk chocolate & decorated with dark chocolate
- crumble framboise: ganache made with raspberry pulp sprinkled with pastry crumble
- malakoff lait: almond & hazelnut praline, coated in milk chocolate & decorated with chopped almonds
- orangette: sticks of candied orange zest coated in dark chocolate
- salted butter caramel: salty caramel ganache coated in milk chocolate & decorated with sugar, caramel notes
PCB presented their New Winter Collection 2014 with a large range of items for Halloween and Christmas. They also launched a range of tattoos, a great way of freeing your creativity with these flexible decorations for entremets, chocolates and verrines.
Corsiglia was also here to showcase their range of chestnut laboratory products, candied chestnuts and candied fruits. Capfruit offered a tasting of those flavours most suited to Christmas, namely mandarin, bitter sweet citrus and apple tatin purees.
Last but not least, we had the great pleasure of welcoming Albert Roux on the Bridor stand. He is the ambassador for their Arc en Ciel range. This colourful range of part-baked breads is made from traditional French flour and offers a delicate, light texture. Natural flavours – reflected in the colouring – include Nori, Curry, Mint & Garlic, Sun-dried Tomato, and Pickled Lemon & Thyme.
A tasting extravaganza
The team from Café Royal teamed up with great pastry chefs to prepare a fantastic range of products to taste. Andrew Gravett, Valrhona’s Pastry Chef for the UK market, prepared Biskelia milk chocolate and Sauschoong pepper verrine as well as Opalys white chocolate and blackcurrant cones and Guanaja dark chocolate and salt caramel tarts.
Barry Johnson from Rococo chocolates created bonbons using Valrhona chocolates, Capfruit purees and PCB transfer sheets:
- Valrhona Biskelia 34% milk chocolate ganache, finished with Valrhona Eclat d’or
- Cardamom & saffron with Valrhona Opalys 33% white chocolate, in Valrhona Ivoire shells
- Red Berry Madagascar, Cherry & Blackcurrant jelly layered with Valrhona Manjari 64% dark chocolate & Capfruit Raspberry ganache
- Popping champagne ganache made with Valrhona Jivara 40% milk chocolate and finished with gold popping candy
- Corsiglia candied orange slice & candied lemon slivers, enrobed in Valrhona dark chocolate (Rococo own 60% blend)
- Strawberry & Rhubarb, Capfruit Mara des Bois jelly layered with Valrhona Ivoire 35% white chocolate & Capfruit Rhubarb ganache
Andrew Blas from Café Royal prepared delightful treats for our guests including mini cones, mini tartlets, large loaf cakes, macaroons and colourful cupcakes decorated with PCB Creation items.
The UK Pastry Team
As a sponsor of the UK Pastry Team, we were proud to welcome to the event the full team consisting of Executive Pastry Chef of the Café Royal Hotel, Andrew Blas and fellow teammates Javier Mercado (Le Cordon Bleu) and Barry Johnson (Rococo Chocolates). Each Chef had a jacket created for the occasion with the colours of our Afternoon Tea Extravaganza.
Christmas Entremet Contest
During the event, we were pleased to launch our inaugural Christmas Entremet Contest in partnership with two of our respected pastry partners: Valrhona and PCB Creation. To enter the contest, participants were asked to create an entremet using the new Valrhona “Biskelia 34%” milk chocolate and a PCB Creation item of their choice with the shortlist of the 5 finalists to be decided by the public via the Classic Fine Foods Facebook and Twitter pages. Photos of all the entremets entered into the contest were displayed anonymously online between November 3 and November 31 with the contest finals taking place at Classic Fine Foods, London, on December 16th.
See you soon!